Dark Chocolate as a Super Food
Whether the day is special like Saint Valentine’s or an internal nudge for chocolate, indulging mindfully can be a catalyst for more well-being. Cravings reveal a great deal about what is right for us and what our body is asking for. To peel back the inclination of making choices you know aren’t right for you, move to a food life based on real lively food in its purest form and prepared the way Mother Nature intended. This is the basis of Personalized Holistic and (very) Functional Nutrition. Real lively food exists to bring you pleasure.
5 Reasons to Augment your Food Life
with a Little Dark Chocolate
1. Antioxidant & Flavonoid rich. Antioxidants fight free radicals which cause cellular havoc. Flavonoids also support cardiovascular and nervous system health. Studies suggest they may be anti-cancer and improve cognitive function. Get most of your flavonoid rich free radical fighting anti-oxidants from fresh, seasonal whole fruits and veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, green and black tea.
2. Magnesium powerhouse. A necessary mineral that supports cardiovascular health and muscular relaxation.
3. Good for overall cholesterol profile. Cocoa butter in dark chocolate contains polyphenols said to be involved in cholesterol control; and increased HDL (good) cholesterol.
4. Small quantities support healthy blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
5. Dark chocolate is an aphrodisiac. It contains tryptophan, a building block of the feel good neurotransmitter serotonin; and phenylethylamine, a stimulant related to amphetamine, which is released in the brain when people fall in love.
Health aligned dark chocolate tips:
Choose the highest levels of cacao (85% is a good target) which totes the most benefit of dark chocolate.
As with all good things, moderation makes us appreciate them more. Appreciation begs great benefits.
Savor each and every decadent bite.
Buy the best dark chocolate you can afford!