Morning Just Got Smarter
Enliven Your Breakfast With Fresh Ideas
You know breakfast is important, but getting a quality meal with a busy schedule can seem like an impossible dream. With a little forward thought you can make sure an easy quality breakfast is a staple of your smart morning routine. You can feel better for it morning, noon and night.
Tam's 5 Tips To Make Breakfast Healthy
- Hydrate. H20 is a macronutrient, right up there in importance with protein, fats and carbohydrates. Naturally the body wakes dehydrated. It has been performing detoxification, rejuvenation, repair and growth while you sleep without a drop of H20. Start your day with a glass of room temperature water. Adding a spoonful of lemon juice is a great tonic for digestion, blood, liver and gallbladder.
- Go easy on fruit. When you choose to include fruit with breakfast select whole fruit. "The skin provides a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals; and slows the impact of the sugar/fructose/glucose to your blood sugar balance." (John, 2018) Fruit doesn't need added sugar.
- Avoid fake food. The human body is designed for real food. Long unpronounceable ingredients and labels leading with wheat (because it has been processed to death) are to be avoided.
- Read labels for sugar content. Food labels reveal sugar content in grams. According to the American Heart Association children up to age 18 and women should have no more than 24 grams/6 teaspoons added sugar daily. For men it is 36 grams/9 teaspoons. So called healthy breakfast foods like yogurt and whole grain cereal or bread can exceed the whole day's allotted sugar and lead to blood sugar dips, mood/anxiety/attention/depressive disorders and inflammation.
- Breakfast comprised of quality protein with healthy fat (examples below) creates a foundation for long burning energy. Add a veggie and outperform the best of the best!
Easy, Satisfying & Delicious Breakfast Ideas:
Hard boiled eggs, grass fed plain full fat yogurt with a small handful of walnuts or almonds, baked sweet potato with butter and an egg, overnight slow cooker steel cut oats with a pat of butter and apples with milk (organic cow, goat, almond, coconut - whatever agrees with your bio-chemistry), wild salmon (leftovers or lox) with cream cheese, and seasonal fresh whole fruit are easy weekday choices.
Tams' title: A Fresh Wellness Mindset has five yummy breakfast recipes, all free of gluten. Dinner leftovers also make breakfast satisfying, easy and delicious. The book has 19 recipes. The breakfast entrees include:
- Smoothie with Cranberry & Coconut Milk
- Lemon Rosemary Drop Scones (make ahead and freeze)
- Pumpkin Pancakes (make ahead and freeze)
- Quinoa Porridge
- Eggs Florentine
A great breakfast need not be complicated or time consuming. When you find a routine that works for your busy morning and practice it consistently you are setting the stage to transform how you feel toward more health and happiness. You can sail smoothly all the way to lunch without a trip to the kitchen or vending machine for 'food' you know you don't want to consume. Most importantly you and your family will feel better.
I will work with you to guide you to ideas that work within your preferences, time and resource availability. Contact me if you would like more information. I would love to help you!
In Good Health, Tam John
John, T. (2018). A Fresh Wellness Mindset: Personalize Your Food Life & Find Your Truth about Gluten. North Charleston, SC: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent disease. This article has not been reviewed by the FDA. Always consult with your primary care Physician or Naturopathic Doctor before making any significant changes to your health and wellness routine.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2018 EatRight-LiveWell ™ & Tam John